Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Observations of a homeschool experiment

After a full week and a day of this new homeschooling adventure, I have a few observations and thoughts that run through my head. Foremost, I am so tired! Not the tired of "I need more sleep!" but the tired that comes from mental exhaustion, when my brain feels fried by the end of the day. I have read aloud more texts and instructions and books in these past days than I care to count! So mentally sapped, that I haven't even posted my usual daily thoughts and recaps on Facebook recently. (and that's saying a lot! (-: )


  • Some things that I am learning in this new responsibility:If I expect my 7 year old to develop good handwriting skills, it's going to have to start with me cleaning up my own poor handwriting skills. (Ouch! Do as I say, not as I do???)
  • If I have no idea what the math textbook means, I sure can't expect Dakota to get it either. Also, just because the book assumes by the end of the days' lesson that the child will understand the concept being taught, doesn't mean he will. And how do I am I to explain it any better than a well published math book will explain it!?

  • One of the reasons why we decided to homeschool involved giving him some one-on-one attention in order to help him focus better. Why did I think that bringing him home would immediately improve this concentration deficit? Which leads me to the next observation;
  • Another of the concerns we both had was whether I was going to be patient enough to properly work with Dakota. That concern is being tested daily! I am either going to grow more patient than my mother ever was (love you mom!) or be sent to the padded room trying. :)

In spite of some of these challenges, I have observed some really special triumphs in the last few days;

  • It is such a privilege to sit down at the table in the morning, just Dakota and I, and hold his hand and pray together over the work ahead of us.
  • What a blessing to look over at my son when I've just read him an interesting piece of information, or a concept he needs to learn, and see the light dawning in his eyes, either of intrigue, or understanding!
  • How fun it was to perform our first "experiment" together, and watch his excitement when he discovered the egg floats in salt water, and sinks in fresh water. So much better than asking him after a full day of school away, "How was your day?" and receiving a grunt in return, or, "fine" at best.

  • I know what my son is learning all day; I am there. I had the privilege of reading it to him. 
  • I understand what he is struggling with, because we are struggling through it together. 
  • We are growing closer as mother and son. It is a precarious place to be, because I do want to continue to be a good mother, and grow into a good teacher for him, but I also think there is a blessing of developing a bond with him that wasn't the same when I sent him away to school. I don't know what the future holds, but right now I am thrilled at the opportunity Dakota and I have of learning together.
  • I am so glad we have Ethan in the preschool setting. I wasn't so sure beforehand, but there's really no way we would have had the same dynamic with Ethan around. I know many other moms have done it and will continue to do it, but for us, this has worked out very well. Ethan loves going to preschool, he seems to thrive on being there and around other children his age. Hopefully, that positive impression will continue as the school year goes on.

No comments: