Friday, September 10, 2010

Rewards from Heaven


Some days when I have both my boys home all day, I pull my hair out and am complaining to my husband by the time he comes home. Knowing this, I prayed ahead in preparation for today. My goals were to give the kids my attention, to not be selfish about my personal time, and to still somehow get my usual tasks done for the day. No small order!
Mark had a teacher's in-service day, so no school for Dakota. Mark took the car, (I told him to) so we wouldn't be going anywhere. It was raining early so we weren't going to make it outside. Mark needed to tape a football game so the TV was off limits. Those were our limitations. 
Ethan was awake by 5:18, so sleeping in was not in the cards. (I set my alarm for 6, but this was a pipe dream) We had breakfast, washed dishes (Dakota did these 3 times today!), did laundry (both boys helped load), made pudding (Dakota helped), started dinner (chili in the slow cooker and Dakota even helped with this), colored, ate a snack, played with play-dough, talked online with their Nana and Grandpa, read a book together, they played together, Dakota "read" books to Ethan, and this was all before lunch! Whew! The rest of the day wasn't quite as full, but it went so well, I was really feeling pleased by the time Mark walked in the door. 
Granted, we had a few issues; sibling rivalry is pretty routine, writing on the wall was a setback. Did you know dry erase marker comes right off a glossy paint? And pencil is easily erased! I was already in a good mood, so I handled it better than I would usually. It was just one of those days, where I was excited by day's end. I'm no super mom like I think and admire about some of my mom friends. After a day like today, I am beginning to understand why children are a reward from heaven.

1 comment:

Dana the YellowRoseMomof6 said...

Oh, Tracy. Don't you just love these kinds of days! Our kids really are blessings from God. Sometimes I think He gives us these kinds of smooth days just to help us appreciate the blessings that they are. So that... on days when things aren't going as well... we will not get so bent out of shape and over-exagerate the "bad times". :D Hope tomorrow is another great day.
Dana