Sunday, September 12, 2010

Eggless Banana Bread

Today, I started feeling a little anxious. It's Sunday, and tomorrow is shopping day. Only, we had next to no food in the house right NOW. Okay, we had enough meat and a couple potatoes for dinner tonight. No bread, no yeast to make bread, one egg. But after giving the kids the very last two good bananas, and two apples in the fridge, I seriously wondered what I would do for Dakota's lunch tomorrow. I had 4 bananas in the freezer waiting for banana bread. But most recipes call for at least two eggs. I could make it with one, but I wasn't sure how that would turn out, so I decided to go on a search for eggless banana bread.


This is what I found.


You'll need the following:

  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 ripe bananas ( I used 4)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). 
Lightly grease an 8x4 inch loaf pan. (or a 9x5 like I have is fine)
In a large bowl, cream the shortening and sugar. 

Sift in the flour, baking soda and salt. 
Blend in the mashed bananas. 
Pour batter into prepared pan.
Bake in preheated oven for 60 minutes, or until a knife inserted into center of loaf comes out clean.



The finished product was a bit crumbly when I sliced it. Not sure if this can be helped without egg as a binder, but it was so delicious, none of us minded!


There, we now have a "bread" and a fruit all in one. But I think I'd still better get to the shopping quickly.

No comments: